Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Facebook connections and lessons...

I received this message from a close, lifelong friend in my Facebook Inbox recently:

Hey Doug,
Thanks for the bday wish! I am interested in your new year's resolution to rest more and I enjoyed reading your blog. At choir rehearsal last night (I sing with a community chorus in Bmore), the director reminded us that even a rest in music has a purpose. He said that a rest is "energized silence". This spoke to me and made me think of you and your goal to live a more restful life this year. I pray for you energized silence, for it is in rest that we are renewed.
Thanks for drawing my attention back to what matters.
Love you bro!
Kara

The phrase that jumps out at me is "energized silence." I told her in my reply that it reminds me of the feeling I get when I listen to the music from Jaws...the part right between the "TAAAA...Dump" that lasts so long. That is silence, but energized. Its not as though in between the phrase the shark is taking a break or getting distracted...he's not like, "TAAAA...Dump...'man am I sleepy'...TAAAA-Dump...'If I can only get through eating this one more helpless swimmer I'll be able to grab a quick 6 hours of sleep'...TAAAA---DUMP." The silence has a definite purpose: to scare the S--- out of everyone in the theater! Last I checked it really works.

Thank you, Kara, for the life lesson!

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment