Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Clear Conscience...

My old friend Rick use to say (and maybe still does) that an honest man's pillow is his clear conscience. "Guilt" is a really big sleep inhibitor and prevents one from feeling any rest...ever. There are many things that can cause feelings of guilt:

1. If you have done something dishonest and morally wrong, you can feel guilt.
2. If you have failed at something that has resulted in hardship for others, you can feel guilt.
3. If you have not done something that has resulted in hardship for others, you can feel guilt.

With guilty feelings come feelings of regret and shame. When I have felt guilty I often wish that I could go back in time and change the things I did...hit the remind button...turn the clocks back!!! I can "fix" this. But usually I can't fix anything I have messed up and the only option I have is an apology, an attempt to make things better, and a stronger desire to "try harder next time." This usually does not take away my shame completely and I continue to loose sleep and rest. When I see the person I have wronged, or see the results of my sin, there is still a tinge of pain.

What I have found is that Jesus has an answer for my guilt that "sticks." My guilty feelings are based on my mistakes and "sins" that are real...real pain I have caused, real hardship I have created. Jesus takes these mistakes and sins and takes the burden I feel on the cross. He takes the hurt I have caused and heals it. He forgives the actual sin and restores my conscience. When I come to him and experience His forgiveness I can rest again.

No comments:

Post a Comment