Monday, December 13, 2010

Deep breath...

"Take a deep breath and let it out."

"Do it again, only deeper."

"This time really fill your lungs and release the air slowly and easily."

This is the conversation, very one-sided, I had with my trumpet teacher during my junior year at JMU in the midst of the only anxiety attack I've ever had. Even though I don't remember the details of the circumstances that caused me to feel the need to hide under the couch at that particular moment, I do remember vividly the manner in which he walked me out of it.

I knocked on his door, lost in anxious thoughts. I explained to him how I felt.

Mr. Kluesner told me to get out my breathing tube while he turned on his metronome.

I took some breaths through the tube first, then through my trumpet. I buzzed on my mouthpiece a simple pattern, then added the entire horn. It was a nice, full, easy and rich long tone exercise I had played thousands of times.

The anxious feelings had passed. They were replaced with calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment