Friday, April 30, 2010

Rigor...

I'm usually most well rested after I've worked really rigorously and then rested. I'm not as well rested when I am kind of "perpetually resting" and not working hard between rests. I rest well when I've been vigorously working all day. I do not rest well when I am lying around all day.

In about 2 months Sarah and I will be leaving on a jet plane for a short term mission trip teaching pastors in Uganda and Kenya about marriage. It will be rigorous. We have a lot to do between now and then. We are going to be really wiped out throughout the process. And it will be invigorating and exciting in many ways. I already know that I will sleep well on the jet plane when we are heading back west! It will be deep sleep.

I do think that God calls us to a rigorous life. And in our lives of vigor we find rest. I think that is why, when my resolution for the year is to "rest more," I am called to spend my vacation traveling to 2nd/3rd/4th world areas teaching deeply from the Bible about the difficult subject of Christian marriage...

1 comment:

  1. I've spent the last year in an IT role, which is alot of trouble shooting and mental work. My friend and I are holding each other accountable to DO more on Sundays so that mind can rest. It's been helpful.

    ReplyDelete