Friday, April 9, 2010

Happy birthday...

Today (April 9th) is my "Spiritual Birthday." Seventeen years ago this morning, at about 6:50, I was born spiritually in Christ. This was, up until that point in my life, the most important thing that had ever happened to me. And the "birth" was dramatic in many ways: prayers felt listened to, the Bible came to life, cussing stopped, joy sprung up...even now the memories are acute and vivid.

None the less, I find myself wishing I were farther down the road of being righteous. Or, to keep the metaphore going, more grown up spiritually. In my first 17 years of "real" life I learned to walk and talk; I learned to drive and was doing high levels of math in high school. I'm not sure what the equivalent maturity level is in my spiritual life, but it seems as though I should feel more grown up in the Lord!

There are many dads of four who hold down stressful jobs and balance the needs of life like a plate on a dowell like I do. Many of these men are not Christians and many of them do a better job of holding things together than I do. Compared to many guys my age my life is mixed up and messed up and sloppy!

Where would I be now without Christ?

Well, my life may be more organized and I may have become more wealthy. On the other hand, I may have become a drunk or a heroin addict...It's hard to say and I will never know because 17 years ago Jesus took my heart, soul, mind and strength and all that I may have been, the "good" and the "bad," will never happen. I am very thankful for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment