Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bright Lights, Big City...

I've lived in the country and I've lived in the city. I've lived in some of the smallest, most remote towns in the United States and I've lived in some of the largest, most important cities.

I remember riding with my parents through the desert at night. We'd be able to see the lights from the upcoming towns looming on the horizon and, no matter how tiny the place really was, the lights made it look grand and promising! In the desert you can see the towns coming from miles and miles away.

I remember riding with my parents up I-10 from San Diego to visit my uncle in LA. On those nights we would drive for 3 straight hours at 65 mph and never have a moment when there were not vast numbers of streetlights or house lights surrounding the road in every direction. The population was dense and the lights made me feel like I was a part of something big! In the sprawling cities lights are everywhere.

Now I'm sitting in my living room with a fire in the fireplace and the oil lamps burning. My wife is asleep next to me on the couch, the children are out-cold, and the dog is settling in. Its bitter cold outside and I am thankful not to be on the road going anywhere tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment